Thursday, October 20, 2005

F.E.A.R. - First Impressions

Short version, I'm hooked. Now onto the details...

Odds are, if you're into PC games, you've heard of FEAR, but if not, here's the blurb from the website:
F.E.A.R. (First Encounter Assault Recon) is a unique fusion of stylized first person combat and supernatural suspense in which you are an elite soldier trained to deal with situations others can not even imagine. Be the hero in your own spine-tingling epic of action, tension, and terror and discover the true meaning of fear.
Reads like many blurbs, but for once, it has been accurate. I got in my first hour of gaming last night doing FEAR's single player missions. This is what I had expected Quake 3 to be - scary, not from the "look we removed a wall and an imp is behind it" but from the "I swear I saw someone out here!" or "WTF WAS THAT?!". I was freaked out before I hit the first combat.

And then I got really hooked. I walked into a warehouse area where I ran into my first two baddies. The rectangular room had a series of pallets with space between them. My two foes split up, one heading to my left, the other right. Okay, cool. Then the one on my left opened up with his machine gun pinning me behind cover - then lobbed a grenade. A little more advanced than what I've seen AIs do in the past, but wait! Then his friend rushed into me - he was moving under the cover fire of the other guy!

I died. Reloaded, and got my revenge. I'm hooked.

No comments: