Friday, October 28, 2005

One small step ....

Last year I set out to be able to run a mile. For me, this was no small feat. I have been a sprinter my entire life. The 90 feet from first to second was normal and a 100 yard dash was a big run. Beyond that, I couldn't do it. Or so I thought.

Last year I got stubborn and started running, wanting to get to a mile. I promised myself a hot fudge sunday for when I made it. And out I went. It took two months, and by the time I did it the sunday was furthest from my mind. Instead, the family went out to dinner.

This year, I kept going, doing my one mile and reaching for more. It's been challenging, I've gotten used to the mile and plateaued. Last night I finally moved beyond it, to 1.5 miles. Elated would be a good word, followed by gasping-for-breath. During my recovery all I could hear was the dialog between Luke and Yoda when Luke couldn't lift his X-Wing out of the muck of Dagobah...
LUKE: I don't...I don't believe it.
YODA: That is why you fail.
I believe, now. Here's to doing 2 miles before I have to hang up the running shoes for the season.

No comments: