Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Rebuilding, again...

Got my laptop back late last week and finally got around to starting the reinstall/rebuild of my environment last night. Not sure if I'm proud of how well oiled this process is now, or scared. I've had to rebuild my Alienware apps so much, I've got it down to a science.

Last night was the basics; email, browser, PokerStars client (Blogger tournament is this coming Sunday!). Thunderbird and FireFox for me. I use CRM114 and Cygwin (procmail, fetchmail, uw-pop3) to eliminate my spam. Maybe this time the laptop will survive long enough for me to write the reclassification script so my home laptop can see the results I get on my work laptop. Its nice to go "Hey! A Spam go through!" instead of "OMG, how many did I get today!?".

On the tools/environment front, I highly recommend Cygwin. I've been hooked on it for years now and its hard to imagine slogging back into a regular Windows CMD window. It'll be interesting to see what M$ Longhorn does for their new command shell, will it even come close to all the GNU tools that already exist? Reuse M$, just bring Cyg in and your done...

No comments: