Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rules Lawyering...

There are times I really wonder about the state of our Government. Don't worry, no political ranting in this one. The NYTimes (free reg required) has an article up on how a Cease and Desist letter was sent to The Onion to have them stop using the presidential seal.

What interested me was the wording:
Citing the United States Code, Mr. Dixton wrote that the seal "is not to be used in connection with commercial ventures or products in any way that suggests presidential support or endorsement."
Now, last I looked, The Onion wasn't "supporting or endorsing" anyone - sounds a little contrary to the idea of satire to me. So, what was the real purpose here? Got me.

Onion, if your reading, use Paint to flip the image 180 and slap it back up there. It's no longer the Presidential Seal at that point, right? *evil grin*

No comments: