Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Are you Gen X? Baby Boom? Gamer?

No Seriously! I was just reading about the "Gamer Generation". The article calls out something I've been puzzling about for years; why the people that tend to play games are the ones that tend to be the "leads" on projects, development, etc. at the companies I've worked for. Here, see if this rings any bells;

"The skills that are required to become a guild master [a team leader] in an MMO game - attracting a diverse group of people, assigning them different roles, training people, constantly bringing in new members - are the same skills you need for quality middle and top managers in a company," says Brown. "Skills that you don't teach people directly are an inherent part of these games."

"The gamers in my office are clearly more comfortable, and perhaps more optimistic, about the uses of certain forms of technology, especially multimedia-type technologies," says Neil Pearse, 44, a leadership development consultant in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who was part of Beck and Wade's study. He says that gamers are more comfortable with communication, education and training online and need less face-to-face interaction. Pearse adds that gamers are more willing to jump in and try things rather than gathering lots of information, doing lots of analysis and then making the decision.

That last part is what caught my eye. I've been working from home, 100%, for three years now. When people hear that I work from home the most common statement I get from people is "I could never do that." Not to say gaming is the key to it, but I certainly have a different view of my work and personal time. I can spend all day coding then spend the night relaxing in front of a good game and not feel like I went back to work.

"Careers will become more about the experience and challenges gained," he says. "Once you've mastered a video game, you look for a new challenge, whether it is a sequel or a new game, and I think this will translate into careers. I know that very few if any member of my team has a career goal of spending 30 years at my company. I see it as my challenge to provide them with interesting and engaging work."

Wow, less grind, um, ladder climbing and putting people where they belong based upon their experience and skill?

You'd think they were trying to set up a raid.... *grins*

No comments: