Friday, November 18, 2005

Full circle...

Londo: I was .. never a child. I had responsibilities. I've had responsibilities for as long as I can remember. Duty. Honor. Family.
G'Kar:Ah. That explains a great deal.
Londo: Really? And what exactly does it explain, G'Kar?
G'Kar: I spent my years in one shelter after another. But sooner or later, I was able to leave the shelter and walk out into the daylight. You do not have that luxury. You carry your shelter with you . . . every day. You didn't grow up. You grew old.

Funny how certain events stick with you. I've been watching as some of my friends and family have their first child. I have 3 now ranged from 1 to 5 years old. When I had my first I didn't give it much thought, I was buried in 3am feedings, diapers, etc. but I did get a lot of looks from my wife's family and comments about "ah, the good ol'days". I used to wonder what drugs they were on.

Then I had another one, and a third. Somewhere in there taking two of the kids out to dinner, to the mall, etc. became "well its only two". One, doesn't even come up on the radar, no problem dear, we'll be back for bed time...

And then my friend had his first and I found myself looking at the little guy and going "Ah, the good ol'days" and giving my friend that odd look. Makes me wonder if I "Grew up" or "Grew old".

No comments: