Tuesday, November 15, 2005

It's a local printer?

Still working through rebuild #8675309 on my Alienware laptop. Okay, it hasn't been that bad, but I haven't had to rebuild an OS and applications this much.... ever. So far, so good. Got the printer installed last night.

On my home network I have an HP LJ3200 attached to a HP JetDirect print server. Works well sharing the printer between the systems that use it. So, I sat down to install the printer - again. I don't do faxing or scanning from the laptop, so all I need to do is print.

Now, as I've said, this is a device on my network. So, logically, upon entering XP's Printer Configuration (Start->Control Panel->Printer, Add Printer) I said "Network Printer". Nice try, much too logical. This is a Local Printer (what did you expect from the people who brought you "Click on Start to Shutdown" *evil grin*) - seriously!

After some minor trial and error I remember that the port settings for the printer are buried in the Local Printer path of the wizard. Once in there, I could create a new TCP/IP port, point it to the static IP of my HP JetDirect and I was off and printing.

A little bizarre, but at least I didn't have to run through HP's LJ3200 CD that crashes when I only install the printer software and not the other components. What can I say, it's been a bad luck year for my laptop...

"Dude. You should have bought a Dell"

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: