Tuesday, December 13, 2005

No kidding...

It's nice to see some press that isn't bashing video games or portraying them as some oddball sniper school, etc. Henry Jenkins, a professor from MIT, wrote a nice article entitled "Reality Bytes: Eight Myths About Video Games Debunked". It's a good read.

This type of article always reminds me of a conversation I had a few jobs back with our groups administrative assistant. I am, and will continue to be, a gamer. I started with Pong, graduated to Doom, and am currently playing WoW, Civ IV and recently finished FEAR. She was telling me how all "video game players kill people" - no joke, her exact words.

I looked her straight in the eye and delievered one of those "OMG did I just say that?" lines; "Then you'd be dead."

She looked at me very oddly as I explained that I, and a number of other people in the group, played violent (Quake 2 in this case) games at lunch. Funny though, none of us has killed anyone.

Yeah, she was shocked. Illustrated the point though. Games don't kill people, people kill people.

1 comment:

DAD said...

you are correct in the fact that people kill people. it is the same with guns, it is the person pulling the trigger, that fires off the round, that kills the other. that is why it is a lot better to shoot at paper targets. believe me I know because I have been living those nightmares for over 37 years...