Tuesday, January 24, 2006

400meg!?

Okay, I was surprised. I had to do some clean up on my work system and decided to do my monthly IT (defrag, ASR backup, etc.) as well. While I was poking around I ran into the {WinDir}\$NtUninstallKB* directories and their associated {WinDir}\KB*.log files.

These are the undo and installation logs for your Microsoft Automatic Updates. They just hover around on your disk. You can look in Add/Remove but you wont find them listed as removable and you can try to do a disk clean but it wont remove them.

How much space? 400meg in directories and 6 meg in log files.

There is almost half a Gigabyte of files floating around that I have no obvious way to clean up (did I miss something?). It turns out you can delete them for no ill-effect, but you still need to know to do that.

I can only imagine what a system in a few years will accumulate in mandatory undo and install information. Go look, see what you have. I'm curious to see who wins the "most space obscured by Microsoft" award.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: