Friday, February 24, 2006

The way the mind works...

Have a song or smell that triggers something within you? Almost as if you relive an event each time you hear that song or smell bread in the oven?

I have a lot of those, but not many make me relive portions of my childhood as strongly as the intro to Extreme's Warheads. It's not the song itself, but the opening 30 seconds or so...
"Recruit! When I give you the word, I want you to fall in on those yellow footprints with your body at the position of attention...NO LOLLY GAGING AROUND MY AREA. Head and eyes straight forward! You understand me!?"

"Yes Daddy"
The hardest thing we can do in our life is recognize the challenges another has faced. It's easy to berate them for their errors, their failures, and to blame them for "what we have become". I fell into this trap for many years with my Father. I blamed him for a lot of what I felt I missed as a child.

I would not be the person I am today were it not for scenes like the one above. I wouldn't recommend bringing your kids up that way, nor am I bringing mine up that way, but it is similar to how I grew up and it was a major factor in who I am.

Dad survived his tour of Vietnam, mostly, and a lot of it came back to haunt him, and us, for his entire life. He lived it though, he never gave up who he was, and he was (often overly so) direct about that. Although many of his other habits I've ducked, that one stays with me. You can't give up, you have to keep trying.

Or as he used to say; Improvise! Overcome! Adapt!

Ooo-Rah.

No comments: