Friday, June 09, 2006

Who are you again?

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle — victorious.
- Vince Lombardi
This is the quote that I had imprinted on the back of my RoadId (I got the dogtags). As I started running more I realized I had no id on me and if I did fall during my run I was in trouble if I couldn't speak. So I got the dog tags just in case, thankfully I haven't needed them.

Today was the day I was to push my limits. I have been working toward a five mile run for a few weeks now, following the same schedule I've talked about before. The four mile runs have been leaving me struggling for breath and pushing everything I had out to get to the end. The five mile had me wondering if I could do it, and with the rain delaying the run my doubts had plenty of time to sprout.

Still, I haven't gotten this far in my training by listening to doubts. This morning I got up and did 50 push-ups (47 good ones *laughs*) just to see if I could - another goal I had set for myself. Then I opened up the shades and looked out at the rainy, drizzly landscape. It looked like the run was rained out for day number two.

I lucked out, by run time the world had dried off. It was nicely overcast, around 70, with a nice breeze. Off I went. The first few miles were normal, my usual route. As normal a little winded at the end of the wake up hills in the first two miles. From then on, I was into the new route in areas I didn't know.

Somewhere between mile three and four things got easy. I can't explain it. Second wind? No idea, but it turned into keeping pace, loosening up my shoes (30 years tying my shoes and I'm getting to relearn how to do it right!) so my toes don't go numb and wondering how far I had gone. Due to traffic I ended up changing my route near the end and since I'm not running with a GPS, I had no idea how it was going to affect my distance.

Given how well I was feeling I decided that I'd do one of my old one mile routes just to be sure I hit five miles. Turns out I not only hit it but passed it. Total for the run, around 6.2 miles.

Once again I sit here looking at the goal passing and wondering why I don't want any of the things I promised myself for accomplishing it(this time I was figuring steak and cheese with a 'Dew) and instead being proud of myself for another goal come and gone.

Not sure I'm used to acting like a "grown up" yet. Maybe that's the trick to it. *smiles*

1 comment:

Mr. X said...

We always knew you could.