Monday, July 24, 2006

Fear

The story you are about to hear is true. Although participants have been obfuscated to obscure their identities...


I ran into an interesting fear this weekend. At least, I'm going to call it that, based upon the reaction I saw in the person I was talking with. We were discussing an event that happened at a family gathering and the person I was talking with made the assertion that they felt that all tall people were dangerous as they could "tear him in two".

For those that don't know me, I stand 6 foot 2 inches and have an athletic build. As you know from reading I work out and do martial arts. The combination of which, to me, means I'm working to better myself. It's very rare I've thought of tearing someone in two and I've never gone ahead and done so.

I can imagine the look on my face that caused him to back pedal saying that "well obviously people who know martial arts could [kill someone if they weren't tall]". The whole scene felt surreal. Why would tall people be more dangerous than short people?

Pop Quiz! Define tall.

Seriously. Take a moment and come up with a definition of what or whom you consider tall.

To me it's someone taller than me, so taller than 6 foot 2 inches. People are "my height", "shorter" or occasionally "damn tall". Oddly enough, it's those "shorter" people that I would say are capable of tearing someone in two.

Why? It's all in your perspective. Did your definition of tall match mine? I doubt it. How we perceive the world is as varied as we are. In this case a "shorter" person was telling me how tall people are more dangerous than others. Given his height, I'm not surprised, I would bet most of the population is taller than he is, thus, making it easy to worry about "all the tall people" in the same way I would look more at "all the short people".

Funny how those fears take root when you don't take time to look at why.

No comments: