Thursday, July 06, 2006

What's in a flash?

It's been a long time since I've been able to go and see the fireworks. Mostly, it's been that the kids have been too young to stay up till it was dark or that we didn't have enough people to carry them back to the car if we did push them to see it. It was a pleasant surprise, as I was putting the kids to bed on the 4th, to be able to see the local town show out of my son's window.

My daughter, perched half on and half off of her top-bunk and my son standing on his bed to see over the trees blocking his view, and I watched as the finale unfolded in front of us. My son covered his ears at each report and finally gave up doing that and just kept his ears covered, the whole time his eyes were glued on the horizon watching the colorful explosions.

"Look Dad! A flower!" This time, my daughter, who I didn't know could defy gravity but, once again, proved me wrong, yelled as a nice red one went off over the trees. They were both mystified and intrigued. It was the first time they had gotten to see fireworks and I had lucked out to be there with them.

It was a nice ending to a very tiring day.

No comments: