Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Make Firefox work for you....


I love to tinker but unlike most folks I end up tinkering with software. Could be off programming something or just exploring what I can do with an application. Although I have been using Firefox since before v1.0 I hadn't played with too many extensions that changed the UI any more than the tabs.

That's changed.

It started by changing how the Navigation and Button toolbars looked and has resulted in the browser you see. No menu bars, just a button. No navigation toolbar, just the pieces I need. Simple, for me - and simple for you too if you have some time to tweak. All it takes is one extension, one theme and a some simple changes.


Yes, that little button to the far left is all of my menus - sorta. This is the Personal Menu Extension. When you click on that button it opens up the menus I have configured it to show (you also configure which menus you want shown when you right click anywhere on your button toolbar) Mine opens up and looks like the image to the right.

The extension allows you to hide all or some of your menus and configure how you want them displayed. How often do you use all of your menus? I hardly use most of them, so this gave me back a lot of space.

The theme I use is Noia 2.0 (eXtreme). This changes the buttons, colors, etc. of the browser. Nothing huge, except that it makes the scroll bars and tabs much more compact giving you back more space.

Finally we have the pre v1.0 Firefox trick; merging the Navigation toolbar into the Menu toolbar. If you look closely you'll notice that I have all my icons, search bars, etc. on one line, not two (or more) as you would expect. I merged the things I use and removed those I don't.

I wish I could find the original tutorial, but I'm having no luck with Google. Here are the basic steps, if your curious ping me and I'll write them more comprehensively.
  1. Right click on your tool bar and go to Customize
  2. Drag the URL and Search boxes up "one line" and park them next to your printer icon
  3. Click Ok
  4. Rick click on your Tool bar and clear the check mark next to Navigation Toolbar
That's it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Al Toid said...

Oooh. That looks like it could be fun. Thanks, as usual, Al.