Monday, December 18, 2006

Dieting, online?

I ran across a new site Traineo over on TechCrunch. The idea is cool, provide a network of friends, internet connections, etc. that all help you stay on track with your diet and exercise goals. Daily you come in, enter in how you did on your diet, # of calories you ate, weight, etc. After a few minor UI quirks, you can easily enter or update information on how your doing. It's really a nice site - if you count calories.

I have no idea what my caloric intake is, I'd have to go figure it out. I don't diet that way. Nor have I really been obsessing with my weight since I dropped it last year. That may sound paradoxical since I still blog about exercising and losing weight - if I don't count calories and I'm not obsessing over my weight, what are the measures?

Simple; Are my jeans (as in pants that have a fixed size waist, nothing elastic!) looser or tighter? Does it look like I'm gaining weight or muscle? Do I feel 'right'?

Mostly it comes down to, now, am I happy with where I am? I do check my weight from time to time. This week I've been weighing in as I did last year to play with Traineo's features. It's been depressing in many ways "look, still on the same plateau". Yep, the weight hasn't changed, but in this week alone I know I've improved all of my workouts and increased my muscle mass.

If I had the equipment I suppose I could do a BMI calculation for Traineo and do it that way - I'd rather have another graph tracking my exercise routine. If I'm doing 10% more push-ups than last week or need a belt to hold up the jeans, I'm doing well - even if the scale disagrees.

No comments: