Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lullaby?

To really understand this story, you have to realize that the music I listen to is mostly "hard stuff". Metallica, Guns'n'Roses, Creed, Godsmack, and so on, you get the idea. Not surprisingly, my kids have grown up around it.

The first hint of this was a few years back when we were in the car and the kids were having an overtired-meltdown. My wife put on a omg-why-are-we-listening-to-this channel of soft, slow tunes. You know the stuff, it's what a typical cartoon or movie puts on when they are lulling the antagonist to sleep. It didn't work on our kids, they were still screaming. I gave my wife a look and slapped in a Metallica CD and turned it up. Within a couple minutes they were asleep.

Yeah, I laughed too, mostly at my wife's "Huh?" expression. Our kids grew up around Metallica, not Barry Manilow, they're used to sleeping through it. Lesson learned, and a trick we use when we need everyone to calm down.

Last night as I was changing out of my gi I hear some Metallica in the background. I thought I had left the radio on in the living room, but as I started walking toward the living room, the music got quieter not louder. I walked back toward the music and it led me into the kids room. I had wondered where my Metallica S&M CD ended up! It was in the kids room, playing on their radio - with all of them soundly asleep.

No comments: