Thursday, June 07, 2007

I agree!

Off on my normal tour I ran across a piece from NPR: "Top 10 Secrets They Don't Want You to Know About the Debates". Most of this you should already know, or at least, not be surprised by. But this one comment had me doing a "Yes, we do."

(7.) The secretly negotiated debate contract bars Kerry and Bush from any and all other debates for the entire campaign.

"Under what I call the Debate Suppression and Monopolization Clause of the contract, it is illegal for the candidates to debate each other anywhere else during the campaign," Rice says. "We need a new criminal law for reckless endangerment of democracy."

I added the color emphasis. She's right. We really do need a law that punishes for reckless endagerment of democracy. I can see a number of politicians that would have enough of these on their records to make "hardened criminals" look like petty thieves. Go one step further though, receiving one, only one, excludes you from holding a public office.

Somehow, I don't think our leaders would let that one through.

No comments: