Thursday, August 23, 2007

Exactly HOW?

From a young age I've grown up around firearms. I've yet to see one jump up and kill someone, but as we all know from the media, "Guns kill". Well, this paranoia has taken the next illogical step forward. Check out this article in the USA Today entitled "Ariz. school suspends boy for sketching gun", here's part of the article:

School officials suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching what looked like a gun, saying the action posed a threat to his classmates.

The boy's parents said the drawing was a harmless doodle and school officials overreacted.

"The school made him feel like he committed a crime. They are doing more damage than good," said the boy's mother, Paula Mosteller.

The drawing did not show blood, bullets, injuries or target any human, the parents said. And the East Valley Tribune reported that the boy said he didn't intend for the picture to be a threat.

Italics added by me. Drawing a gun is a threat that can get you suspended? Zero tolerance indeed. We've lost track of creativity as well. I used to draw huge war scenes.... I'd hate to see what that would land me if I went back to school.

At what point do we realize that all the paranoia in the schools isn't going to help - you need to fix the families, the parents, who aren't involved.

No comments: